Monday, November 3, 2008

And Then The Bubble Burst ~Part 2~

**If you have not read the blog below this one, please read it first. This one will make much more sense if you do. **

I was doing really well. I wasn’t talking to men, I was going to classes, I was believing everything they were telling me, I was thinking that my teachers had all the answers, that my life would magically be figured out in this small corner of the Jewish world. But every Shabbat I stayed in Har Nof I sat silently at the Shabbos table and listened to the men sing. As much as I loved the food and the company and the conversation, I couldn’t sing.

I had heard about this place called ‘The Moshav’ from some friends. It’s a kibbutz-like commune of old school hippies who were brought back to Judaism by a charismatic rabbi, Shlomo Carlebach, who connected to uninterested Jews through his ability to take Torah and Jewish philosophy and make them accessible and relevant. One of his major additions to contemporary Jewish life in general was his music. He was an amazing musician and took the daily and other prayers and put them to music that made the normally 'boring' or 'dry' experience a much more meaningful one. I heard that the women there could sing, and it was still religiously 'kosher.' So at the end of September, just before Rosh Hashana, I stepped foot on the Moshav for the first time.

Stepping onto the Moshav, especially after all of my time in Har Nof, was quite a culture shock. Har Nof can be friendly, but the Moshav is much more so. Women AND men (gasp!) say hello as they walk by, women wear short sleeves, color abounds. Especially purple. The Moshav in itself is placed over a few hundred acres of forest and rolling hills. The houses are a bit run down, but there is no absence of character. One especially animated front yard has a ‘bathtub garden’ with old bathtubs with plants growing out of them all over the lawn. In the same yard there is an archway with blown glass orbs dangling down over those entering, and there’s even a wooden Jewish star on a nearby tree. The older members are all basically religious hippies. The women wear flowing dresses and skirts, beautiful scarves cover their hair instead of the stiff wigs of the Har Nof women. The men wear flowing linen or cotton pants, loose tunics, and white kippas (circular head coverings that men wear). Gone are the men in black suits I had grown used to. The temple (what we call ‘shul’) has been hand painted by one of the Moshav residents with beautiful pictures of Jewish scenes and the women’s section is lined with the names of all of the powerful women in Torah interwoven with painted flowers and leaves.

I was actually completely confused when I got to the Moshav. My free flowing side was beyond pleased, the unkempt look of the place showed that real people lived there, but my newly 'religious seminary girl' self was a bit uncomfortable with this self-proclaimed Orthodox community and its free flowing relationships between men and women. Men of all ages came up to me to talk to me. Wierd. I know I sound like a crazy conservative, but that’s the world I’ve been living in for the past few months. It’s just not done. But on the Moshav, it’s…different.

I actually caught myself judging the people in the first few hours I spent there. The girls didn’t dress right, this was off, that was off, and then the sun began to set and we all went into shul to welcome the Sabbath. And it all melted away. The praying, the singing that happens in that place is…transcendent. We started to pray and the men and women's voices melded into one, neither one paying attention to or being (at least visibly) concerned by the other. As the minutes went by, I felt my heart soar with joy and for one of the first times since being here I could focus on the words I was saying, and even more, I could feel them. We welcomed the Sabbath (Shabbat is likened to a bride and at the time when the sun sets and it begins, we literally turn around, bow, and turn back to face front as if ushering a queen through a door). The whole reason I began observing the Sabbath was because I realized how important it was to take a day off. I was doing it for me, for my mental growth, to be able to put down my phone and computer for a day and just be. But bowing to greet the Sabbath that first night, it almost took my breath away. I was welcoming something so pure and beautiful into the world, into the room, into my life.

We recited the verse where it all began,
“And the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to make the Sabbath an eternal covenant for their generations. Between me and the Children of Israel it is a sign forever that in six days God made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed.” (Exodus 31: 16-17)

And I got it. This was one Friday night in an unending string of hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions of Friday nights where this time was kept sacred. It is what Heschel calls a “cathedral in time.” Through the destruction of two temples, the Inquisition, the Crusades, the Enlightenment, the Holocaust, everything the Jews have been through, this day has been kept by Jews, many times at the danger or even cost of death. It is about this God who created the world and created and continues to create this special time for peace and prayer so that the generations before me, myself, and my children and all the generations after can have a break and be. Not just be, but be with God. I don’t expect you to understand this experience exactly, but maybe to help, think of the three most meaningful and joyous times in your life. They are undoubtedly times of connection, of union. If not with God, with yourself, with one person, or with a group. But whatever that amazing moment or day, it was the connection. Seeing more than just you. Absolute joy. And that’s what I felt. Full to bursting. And, best of all, in the Moshav I could sing. I sang loudly and completely, breaking into a huge smile as I sang, knowing that this was me and I needed to sing. I needed to sing to and for God, and for the Sabbath, and for all of the other blessings in my life. And that is when the bubble burst.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erika -- Great!! The Carlebach shuls are wonderful places, here in the US and in Jerusalem.

There's a lot more range to "kosher" in behavior, dress, singing, davening than Har Nof would have taught you.

Mims Cohen

Anonymous said...

Erika -- what a journey. Like Mim's I am glad to see you reconnecting with the joy of singing. You might look into connecting with the Hartman folks as well (just a thought).

Keep the faith (smile) and KEEP writing!

Barry Schnur

Anonymous said...

Now, I don't presume to know everything you've been through, and would never tell you what direction you should go on your journey. But I would like to say one thing.

I think this, more than a commentary on singing in front of men, is a commentary on what can happen if one tries to take too much upon themselves on at once. Becoming a Baal Teshuva is a difficult, taxing, and confusing process. And there are a million gray areas. It's very easy to go a bit too far and then react to the very growth you've experienced.

Again, I'm not telling you to do anything, but I think it might serve you well to examine exactly why you felt so constricted, and what it may have to do with where you're at and what you're doing and all that. Often, our reactions in these situations are much stronger than we intend them to be, simply because of the initial strength that we moved forward.

I wish you much Co'ach in your continued journey, Erika.

Elad

Anonymous said...

Despite what many may tell you, all i can say is thank God honey! (a jewish one of course:)

One of the things I love about you is your ability to push the boundaries regardless of what others may think. Although lately youve been on a new path that may require new rules designed to facilitate personal growth and connection with god, dont forget to follow your heart darling, its always right and has all the answers you need.

I love you!! and will write soon with a time to SKYPE!!

sammie

Anonymous said...

One last thing:

although I truly respect what Elad is saying about the overwhelming nature of drastic transformation, I also want to remind you of a few things that I have a lot of experience with. One of the characteristics of culture shock/living abroad is the constant need to fit in and feel apart of something-regardless of whether or not it goes along with what your life is like back home. So just as your sudden rejection of certain orthodox rules may be a reflection of too much too soon, your unquestioning dedication to some parts of judisim you previously rejected could also be a reflection of living in a new culture, a new language, far far away from home.

(sammie again!)

Anonymous said...

esther
I'm so happy that you took singing lessons, and breathing work with carl Stough. It enables you to reach a state of unconsious competence at times such as you have so beautifully described. When you are not in such a state of transcendence, I encourage you to do a few of their recommended exercises! Just "practice"-y'know.
However, I am really left holding my breath [not good!] because the expression "The Bubble burst" is most often used in the context of a let-down of severe proportions, such as the stock market or the housing market. People involved have to "pick up the pieces" as best they can - Humpty Dumpty, etc. I am not a worry wort, so I will wait, less patiently perhaps, for further elucidation of this new usage.
I am grateful for your prompt response to my previous request.
Love,

Anonymous said...

Well, my dear reading this last of the trio, for now, expresses most exquisitely the complexity of the dichotomy of these two worlds in the one world in which you are living. As you elucidate your thoughts and ideas and challenges, you can even feel the pitch of the culmination of your thoughts rising to the end.
The beauty of your words and the questions you pose continue to be remarkable.
One thing that occurs to me is that living in the more orthodox world of the Har Nof appears to have created an opportunity for focus that you might not have had otherwise. Having had a taste of that, you have also thrust yourself into another world, or a microcosam of the entire world. Thus, the challenges of each bring you face to face with the philosophical duels that so many have faced.
Keep looking and asking and loving.
Your growth and transformation fills me with pride. This gift of this year is worth more than I could have imagined.
Your Mom