Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Voice Within ~Part 3~

**If you have not already, please read the previous two posts before this one. It will make much more sense if you do.**

Since that first Shabbos at the Moshav I have continued to go back for more. I now know a great number of the people who live there, and more than a handful of people have asked me if I myself have moved in. The Moshav has, in effect, become my second home. I travel between two worlds of Orthodox Judaism, both reading the same Torah, but one so indescribably different from the other that I get culture shock every time I leave one for the other. And although the singing is truly transcendent at the Moshav, now that I have basically mainstreamed myself into the community, the holy glow of the first Shabbos has focused itself into a more realistic perspective. And the more time I spent at the Moshav, I realized how the singing is not the real issue here. My being able to sing is just a manifestation of a greater tension in myself. My voice, the one I use to speak and sing and express myself, how do I want to use it? How will all of these tensions between what my heart wants and what God wants come to meet? A million questions spring from here.

I spent the week before Sukkot, almost all of Sukkot, and Simchat Torah at the Moshav (Jewish holidays which you should feel free to research---they are both incredibly joyous and full of rich potential for understanding the Jew’s relationship with God), and in that time I really got to know a lot of people who live there, seeing them both in their religious capacity as well as in the day to day. And that’s when I first started to see what was really different. At the Moshav I could see the ‘religious’ side of a person and the ‘secular’ side. In Har Nof I haven’t seen so much of that dichotomy. It’s all Judaism all the time. Wake up in the morning, pray, eat, play, go to work or go study Torah or go to school to study Torah, pray, eat, pray, eat, pray, study, pray, sleep, pray, start again. In Har Nof, life is dedicated to God in a very physical way, in time and in space. There is so much ritual and so much learning going on all the time, it is a world in which Judaism plays itself out minute by minute. It’s an amazing thing to watch. At the Moshav, Judaism isn’t so….obvious on weekdays. The men pray in the morning and evening, but other than that life goes along as normal with people going to school and doing their jobs. It’s not so obviously Jewish. I’m not saying this is bad or good, it’s just a very different lifestyle. A different Judaism.

For a lot of the adults who started the Moshav, there is a continuity of character, but with their children I can see a divergence, a dissonance. Their children are very much a part of a different world. They drink and smoke and party and a number of them don’t observe the Sabbath. The ones I know are absolutely wonderful people, please don’t get me wrong. But the dissonance for me was deafening when, right after Sabbath ended and I was still buzzing from my religious high, there were people dancing to loud rap music and drinking, enveloping themselves in the opposite energy and purpose of the entire day before. It just didn’t add up.

To be realistic, these are teenagers and young twenty-something and they were acting the same, if not better than, most people their age. But something was still off. There was some sort of rebellion going on. These kids love the music of the rabbi that their parents connected with so deeply, and many of them are deep and beautiful people, but there are also a lot of lost souls on that Moshav. One of the parents and I were talking about it and I was asking him about Kol Isha, women singing in front of men, and he told me that Carlebach had let them ‘stretch the rules’ a little bit. And there it was. I live in one world that was rigid, where rules guide your every movement and are never broken. I live in another world of stretching rules, of tweaking and bending, of flexibility and the paths are more…personalized. And both places are imperfect. Neither interpretation of Judaism suits me. I am, as always, somewhere betwixt and between.

You see, I got to discover Judaism for myself. None of its rules and regulations were imposed on me as a child, and although I went to Hebrew school and learned a bit here and there, everything I took on was my choice. This was the same for the first generation of people on the Moshav. They all wanted to be there, they had all found Judaism and chose it. Their children then grew up in an environment full of beautiful philosophy and music, but they did not have a rigid or ingrained structure to follow and replicate. They were given the freedom to walk their own paths, some of them choosing to believe in God and all of the values their parents spoke of and lived, while some got lost and confused along the way. And which is better? Is it best to create a culture, like in Har Nof, where praying in the morning, afternoon, and evening is the norm and people do it just as naturally as brushing their teeth? Judaism can be mechanical, meaningless for these people, but they keep doing because everyone else does and continue the lineage, whether with faith and belief or not. Or is it better to take that chance and give your children more freedom to decide on their own and possibly end up with no connection, sending your children into the world with no set path of rules or morality, like at the Moshav?

I have been grappling with this whole situation furiously since first stepping foot on the Moshav. It has brought up questions upon questions upon questions and I have been running myself in philosophical circles trying to ‘figure out’ what kind of Jew I want to be, what kind of parent I want to be, where I will live, and whether or not I should sing in front of men. And each time I start thinking about this, as the wheels begin to spin faster and faster towards a brick wall of impossibility, I remember that there is a brick wall in Judaism. Actually, it’s made of stone. It’s called the Western Wall, the Kotel. And this wall holds all of the possibility in the world. It has been standing for more than 2,000 years despite the best efforts of the Romans, the Crusaders, the Inquisitors, and the Nazis. It is a wall I am running not against, but towards. It represents the utter impossibility of a people lasting, yet rising victorious over the most evil of tyrants, the most hopeless of situations. And the wall still stands. We still stand. And so as I remember this I begin to breathe once again and remember that God does everything for a reason. I am flopping (or flying?) between Har Nof and the Moshav for a reason. I love to sing for a reason. I have a reason in this world. But I don’t know the reasons yet. All I can do is keep learning, keep breathing, and keep on searching for my true voice within, letting it rise and fall, hum softly, and crescendo, until the day it finds its true pitch and harmonizes with God's.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a bunch of thoughts on this, as I'm sure most that have been in similar situations have.

So, I think I'd basically like to sum it up with something a Rabbi said to me today. There is the side of Judaism that is very strict and Hallachic, and there is the side that is spiritual. And this has always been the tension within Judaism, because we can't have one without the other.

And this is why I'd like to give a shout out to Chassidism. Chassidism became popular essentially because it tackled this issue head on. Chassidism is about realizing that this Torah, as you said, has both these aspects, and thus both these aspects are the same thing and completely united. It is our job as Jews to bring them together.

Anyway, I think it's worth looking into and exploring. I can't imagine how I'd stay interested in Judaism without Chassidic philosophy.

ilanica said...

Erika! I just finished reading all three parts of this thought process and journey of yours. I'm completely blown away by the eloquence and relevance of the whole thing. I relate very deeply to your struggle. For me it was about being exposed to Lubavitch Judaism, and becoming a member of the Crown Heights community, and then throwing myself headfirst into the academia of the Centrist, modern Orthodox Yeshiva University. I befriended a very nice person my first semester who had just been married and didn't even make any attempt to cover her hair. She didn't try to make any excuses when I asked her about it - she just said she didn't want to. And she's still a very beautiful person who davens with intensity and seems very connected to G-d. Now I'm taking a course on Jewish ethics which presents all sorts of fascinating and sometimes troubling perspectives on Judaism that Lubavitchers choose not to study. Again, in my situation, the first faction of Orthodoxy that I was exposed to was a bit narrower, but also much more intensely observant, whereas the next lifestyle presented to me resonated more with my secular life but by virtue of its very looseness lost some of the fervor and dedication that drew me to Orthodoxy to begin with.

I guess the point I'd like to make is that what I've learned from all of this is that, well, firstly, Hashem has our lives lovingly planned for us and exposes us to things based on His knowledge of us and how our life will be lead. He exposed me to Lubavitch Judaism and Modern Orthodoxy, not to mention fourteen years of a secular upbringing, because these are all relevant to my life's mission and what I'm meant to be exposed to. So that's my first point.

My second point is that it is very, very common for Ba'al Teshuvas, specifically ones who are honest, sincere, and probing, that there is a sequence of events that is healthy if one intends on becoming a healthy and mature Jew who has approached the process honestly and with eyes wide open. The first step is the immersion process. It's about temporarily shutting off the part of you that is on guard every time something doesn't make sense to you because of a secular background and secular assumptions about how information is processed and understood. At this stage its very common to be critical of people who are less observant. After all, you are trying to make a distinction between the life you once led and the life you are being exposed to now. People who are less observant challenge this in a way that's confusing at this stage. I remember when I first became religious I wouldn't go into Barnes and Noble with my dad, and I took down all my posters of jazz musicians, and so forth. I was at a stage where I needed to accept what frum people were telling me what frum Judaism was, and I even took it out of context and proportion sometimes.

Thankfully years have passed and I have been exposed to lots of different kinds of Judaism, and after my "crazy" stage I feel very rooted and firm in my observance and beliefs, and have the realization that humility and deference to tradition are very often positive things even for someone who's moved pass the beginner stage. At the same time, I have realized that I do NOT agree with everything my initial teachers told me. I still deeply respect them and their views, and my observance is still very much shaped by them. But that doesn't change that I was Ilana before I became frum and I am still that Ilana now. I am going to go to college and law school and question and think and challenge and be curious and be affected and inspired by all and sundry. I would definitely like to think that for me, the maturation process took that trajectory and I am very thankful for it.

Erika, I think there's a reason Hashem had you wind up in Har Nof and find inspiration and beauty there, and then go to the Moshav and find inspiration and beauty there. And you're older than I was when I became religious, so I think it's very clear to you (whereas for me it was a process to discover as I simultaneously grew up) that it's okay to be critical and it's okay to be accepting.

And I think that we're meant to learn from and take the best from everything. I consider myself a Lubavitcher to this day, but I am a very unusual one, since I draw inspiration from the ethics and reverence that my parents instilled in me in a secular/unobservant Jewish sort of way, as well as the ambivalence, the critique of the right-wing, and the occasional apathy of the Modern Orthodox, all mixed up to make me exactly the sort of Jew Hashem wants me to be. I don't know if you'll see it this way. But I am so happy to know that you are getting exposure to a lot of different ways of serving G-d and you're discerning enough to recognize the flaws that come with the perks. Keep it up and I really look forward to hearing more!

Lots of love and well wishes -
Ilana

Anonymous said...

Erika, I'm reading your comments with ongoing interest as you encounter options within Judaism. You were doing a small part of that when you were studying at ASU, but now you are totally immersed in 'religious encounter'. I expect it will take you a fair amount of time and experience to balance the different worlds of Judaism and find your own spiritual and observance home and life. But as I read your ongoing commentary, I feel certain that you will 'get there'.

Barry Schnur

SophieOfTroy said...

We're clamoring for more over here! Write again soon!

Anonymous said...

Erika,
You are the grandaughter of Israel, "He who wrestled with God". I am amazed at the deep seriousness with which you wrestle with these issues - issues that I rejected long ago (that does not necessarily mean that I was right!).
I was interested in your discussion of hair and its meaning, and I thought you might enjoy the musical "Hair".
I do not understand why God gave us a mind and a body and somehow he wants us to use the mind but hide the body. It almost seems to be sacreligious not to appreciate such a gift that he gave to us. The morality of responding to beauty is to respond appropriately - not to deny.

Love,

Uncle Joel

Anonymous said...

Erika --

We haven't heard from you since November. Developments?

I'm also interested in your impression of the recent conflict in Gaza. How has it affected your relationship with Israel? How do you see the different groups you are living with reacting to the conflict?

Let us hear from you.

Mims Cohen